Saturday, October 3, 2026

I Lead Two Lives

               There was a popular television show from the fall of 1953 to the spring of 1956 with the title....I Led Three Lives....about a typical white collar worker....(one life)....who worked for the FBI....(second life).....as he infiltrated the Communist Party....(third life.) According to his brother it was Lee Harvey Oswald's favorite television show. What's odd to me is that I remember watching the show....probably in reruns....but I still would have been under ten years old.
                 I lead two lives. In the one I am a 76 year old retiree....a one-time prankster who could...(and I did)....put a new replacement mop head....on my head....as a plumed helmet....and use the handle as a baton....as I glided through the power plant control room as a Drum Major....leaning back at a 45 degree angle....or take on a French accent....(I called myself Frenchie).....as I gave a daily weather report over the power plant's radio communications. And....I could....and did....as we slowly walked a boardwalk on the beach....buy those googly eyed glasses.....and wear them. I can schmooze at parties with the best of them....talking about politics or just about anything. Yeah....I'm just a wild and crazy....normal guy. The problem is that it is no longer me.....and hasn't been for a long time. I can still play the role at parties....but it is hard....and I generally do not like myself when it is all over. I can go to church....and appear normal.....even though I know that our Lord and Savior and King....is already mounted....along with His powerful and holy angels.....just waiting for the command from Him to advance....knowing that those I talk to do not know this!
                  Paul wrote this in 1 Corinthians 9:22-23...."To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings."
                  Paul also wrote this in the same book....chapter 4....verses 16 and 17...."I urge you, then, be imitators of me. That is why I sent you Timothy, my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, to remind you of my ways in Christ, as I teach them everywhere in every church."
                  I do a terrible job of imitating Paul.....and I acknowledge that....but I try....as we all must. So when in conversation with different people....non-believers....or believers in different stages of their walks....I might  go directly to the nearness of God's judgment on our nation....or I might go slow....and look for an opening. I might appear harsh....knowing that they might not like it.....but they need it....or I may have to rely on prayer.
                   We read this in Jude....verses 22 and 23...."And have mercy on those who doubt....save others by snatching them out of the fire....to others show mercy with fear....hating even the garment stained by the flesh."
                   It does not matter what people might think of me. I look at everyone that I meet....and on every one of my friends and acquaintances....and you also....if we know each other....and think only of their eternally destiny. I might smile and talk of the weather.....but inside I am praying for discernment....for me in what to say....and for you.
                   This may be one of the most glorious joys that God gives us....hoping and praying that others attain the mercies that we have! For as I look at my own life....and know the depravity of the human heart....and know from that which I was saved....and the glorious and eternal salvation given to those who have no right to claim it from their own works or even faith....as I see and realize all of this....I can also see that we are called....to call others into the kingdom! And I thank God for this great and joyous calling!