Wednesday, September 9, 2026

We Are Incapable Of Discerning The Vanity Fair That We Live In

Preface: It's been a wild year....starting off with the Super Bowl and the college football championship. The World Cup took two months of our time....the NFL Draft was in Pittsburgh this year....and then there was the....World Baseball Classic....which was a ridiculous concept to begin with. We had the 250th anniversary that kept going on and on....with very patriotic things like a Grand Prix race in D. C.....and a cage fighting match right on the White House Lawn! The attack on the reflecting pool....well maybe it wasn't an attack after all....kept us spellbound for a week or so. Caitlyn Clark kept us white folks interested in the WNBA....and March Madness was stuck in there somewhere. Scottie Scheffler kept us Christians rooting for him just about every Lord's Day. The Winter Olympics were held in February....and to be honest....with all the excitement going on....I can't even remember them! I don't remember who won the NBA or the NHL championships. We've already had all four golf majors....and I believe we are right now on the last of the tennis grand slams? We have been in a war since February. We just finished up a long trial....where a mother strangled her three kids....but in a hung jury...only one juror voted for conviction? I guess we already had the Oscars and the Emmys. The new ballroom and the arch and the Smithsonian and Lake America keep us occupied...and now we have a...mid-term Republican Convention? I know that I probably forgot about a dozen events that occupy our minds....but a new year....within the year has started....with football! It was probably never really said by the Duke of Wellington...."The battle of Waterloo was won on the playing field of Eton"....insinuating that the discipline and fraternity and loyalty learned on college athletic fields built the character of the nation's self-defense....but such would have been the case here in America....before college sports were torn apart by greed and vanity.  The thing is....we are today utterly incapable of discerning the Vanity Fair that we live in! In Bunyan's classic....he wanted to get out of there as fast as he could....and Faithful didn't even make it out. Here is an anecdote for you to consider....Charles Spurgeon....the Prince of Preachers....wrote that he had read Bunyan's Pilgrim Progress....100 times in his life! The book was once the biggest selling book....other than the Bible....in the world! Do you think that maybe we today ought to go back that book....in humility and repentance maybe....for what we have become? The following post is from July of 2020 and is on my humor page:

Come Lord Jesus......Just Not Right Now!

Lord Jesus 

As you know....for this blessing is from you....
        our son Kyle has a full football scholarship....
        at an SEC school....GO DOGS!
        and you have also blessed us with a beautiful daughter....
        whose wedding is planned for next year....
        and we need every minute of this year to prepare for it....
        so yes Lord Jesus....come....just not right now.

I know that America has strayed far from you...
        but that's really the Democrats Lord...
        I was just talking to the pastor the other day...
        at the pot luck after the service....before the game
        and he says that we are going to get the House back....
        and then we are going to throw Hunter Biden in Jail...

They're making us wear masks Lord....
        just like they put a crown of thorns on your head!
        our wonderful freedoms are being taken away....
        bless Donald Trump Lord....and Ron DeSantis....
            and Matt Gaetz...and Marjorie Taylor....I can't remember her last name....
                and the My Pillow Guy.

May I ask one more thing Lord....
        when you do come....
        can you call first...and leave a message
        to see if we are home....
        what with Bible studies and pickle ball and all
        a grandkid on the way....
        it's going to be a busy decade or so.

So all praise to you Lord....
        Come Lord Jesus....
        With all your mighty angels....
        In Power and glory....
        And righteous judgment....(on the Democrats)....
        Just not right now.

Just one last very personal request Lord...
        just in case Billy Graham was right
        and you are indeed coming real soon....
        could you possibly schedule the rapture....
        in early April.....
        just after March Madness if possible
        so I don't have to break my back...
        unnecessarily spreading all that mulch....
        and fertilizer?

        (I missed the first week of last year's
        church golf league because of it....
        because I couldn't bend over to putt)

           No....this is definitely not an optimum year for evangelicals for the tribulation....or is it? To me it seems just like what God's prophetic word says it will be like....will the Son of Man find faith on the earth when He returns? We've got enough oil for a tiki torch but none for our lamps. Delusion is everywhere....along with false prophets....the chief of whom evangelicalism fell for hook, line and sinker.