Sunday, August 23, 2026

An Unspeakable Joy

              Spurgeon once preached....(he may have preached it more times than once)....that a broken and a contrite heart....is not something that only occurs before salvation. He was adamant on this point....in that not only are we to have a broken and contrite spirit many times after conversion....but that it is one of the greatest joys that a Christian can experience.
              He quoted a fellow preacher from back then....that the one thing that he might regret upon entering heaven....is that there will be no more feelings of humble brokenness before the Lord....because along with the broken contriteness comes the glorious realization of God's holiness and mercy.
              I think I understand what Spurgeon was getting at....for in those times when I feel so broken before the Lord....so much of a failure....or very weak and frail....which are often....and I thank God for that....I even feel that I could not do without those times....in those times also comes a recollection of what God has done for me! These are feelings that are not readily there even in worship and in evangelizing....and certainly not when I write these posts....unless in those posts I am fighting depression by exalting the glorious mercies that God has always waiting for those who come to Him in godly fear and expectation.
              So if you are experiencing any form of spiritual depression....know this....that when our cup runneth over....(Psalm 23:5)....it is a wonderful thing....but Peter....when his readers had been...."distressed by various trials"....(1 Peter 1:8)....laid before them an imperishable inheritance.....reserved in heaven....and a....joy "inexpressible"...."unspeakable"...."filled with glory."