Jonathan Cahn starts off this video from his ministry....asking for those in the audience who may have heard of Charles Spurgeon....to raise their hands. Spurgeon was quite possibly the greatest preacher since the Apostle Paul....but Jonathan Cahn....this would be my guess....may have never considered Spurgeon before....until this Spurgeon sermon on the Jews and Israel was brought to his attention.
There are represented here two very different...brands....of evangelicalism. In the charismatic movement....(it's really not technically a movement anymore....but rather a more of a sect)....experience is the key....attributed to the Holy Spirit....where beliefs are influenced if not determined by experiences. In Spurgeon's world....it's the word....and the Holy Spirit within the believer....that determines....even that we know that Jesus is Lord...and that we are indeed saved....and that the Bible is God's very word to us!
David Wilkerson....(raise your hands if you ever heard of....The Cross and the Switchblade man?) David Wilkerson was Pentecostal....not Charismatic....in fact he was often critical of what the Charismatic Movement was doing. He was something else that he probably didn't even realize. He was a Puritan. Those men from the past that influenced him....are the same men from the past who influenced me. He preached like a Puritan. One of the books that helped change my theological life was a three volume paperback set by William Gurnall....titled....The Christian in Complete Armour. I was just browsing in a Christian bookstore....way back when....when a bright orange neon color of a paperback caught my eye.....volume one of that set. 'What is this'.....I thought....so I looked on the back to see if there were any blurbs on it....one blurb was by a man named.....Charles Spurgeon....'never heard of him' I thought.....(folks this was probably about 1984....and I was very new to the faith)....there was another name....David Wilkerson! Well I knew of Him! That was all I needed.....so I bought the book.....but think about this....a Puritan book....with two blurbs....one Charles Spurgeon....and the other David Wilkerson!
In 2011 Jonathan Cahn wrote a mega-bestseller....The Harbinger. He did something that I do all the time....as he looked back at the reasons that God judged Israel and Judah....and likened them to the very same things that we do today....and all of this evidenced by 9/11! So far...so good...but he continued to write bestsellers....and each one was progressively more speculative than the one before it....even becoming grossly speculative. He is the one who labeled Trump the new Jehu....sent by God to save America....but in reality Trump was the man who gutted and neutered evangelicalism itself! I have all Cahn's books....for research....and I don't recommend them....but I am putting this video from Jonathan Cahn in this post....not primarily because it does show that Spurgeon had a God-given discernment that translated into his sermons....and that he clearly saw from God's Word....almost a century before it happened....that the state of Israel would come into being....but I put the video here rather to let you hear....that it might introduce Charles Haddon Spurgeon to you....that you might listen often to his sermons from Google.
Also included here is another video from Jonathan Cahn's ministry....that is titled...."Is Trump the trumpet of God for America's recovery?' This was the greatest mistake that Jonathan Cahn has made....that transformed him from an author on biblical prophecy....with some benefit to the people....to a false prophet....sending multitudes astray.